Abades is a small village of white houses in the south of Tenerife, where with luck you will be able to see the turtles that inhabit the area.
If you want to increase your chances of seeing turtles in Abades we advise you to take a dive or a try dive if you have no experience.
Diving with Turtles in Abades for Beginners
Check availability and book your spot online:
🐢 ACTIVITY DETAILS
Immerse yourself in an exciting half-day underwater adventure in Tenerife, where you can explore the enchanting underwater world of the protected bay of Abades. This experience is ideal for diving beginners as well as families looking for a unique activity. Enjoy personalized attention thanks to the qualified instructors who will accompany you on this journey.
Your Diving Adventure Step by Step
- Booking and Flexibility: Plan your underwater adventure with ease. You can book now and pay later, keeping your travel plans flexible. Additionally, if your plans change, you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance to get a full refund.
- Arrival at the Diving Center: Upon arriving at Abades in the morning, you will gear up at the diving center. Here, you will receive your wetsuit, mask, fins, and diving bottle.
- Preparation and Safety: Receive detailed safety instructions and equipment usage training. Learn the basics of breathing and buoyancy underwater, all explained by your instructor.
- Diving into the Bay: Accompanied by your instructor, who will ensure that you feel comfortable and safe, you will dive into the clear waters of the bay. The experience is limited to two participants per instructor, ensuring personalized attention.
- Underwater Exploration: Once underwater, you will be amazed by the variety of marine life. You will observe colorful fish and, if you’re lucky, you might encounter a seahorse or even swim alongside a turtle.
- Maximum Depth of 10 Meters: At this depth, you will experience the sensation of weightlessness and learn about the local marine ecosystem.
- Pick-up Service: If you are staying in the south of Tenerife, you can take advantage of the pick-up and return service offered by the activity.
- Enjoying the Beach: Even if some members of your group do not wish to dive, they can relax on the beautiful sandy beach and enjoy the surroundings.
- Optional Lunch: After your dive, you can choose to have lunch at one of the many nearby restaurants, where you can enjoy a typical Spanish meal or a hamburger.
- Unforgettable Memories: Finally, you will return to the diving center with unforgettable memories of your underwater adventure. Additionally, you will have an online record of your dive and the peace of mind of being covered by insurance.
This trip to the depths of Abades is more than an activity; it is an opportunity to connect with nature and explore a completely new world.
Snorkeling with Turtles in Abades
Check availability and book your spot online:
🐢 ACTIVITY DETAILS
Dive into an exciting guided snorkeling adventure in the crystal-clear waters of Playa Abades, in Tenerife. This experience will take you to discover a vibrant underwater world, full of life and color, followed by the opportunity to savor delicious Canarian cuisine.
Your Snorkeling Experience Step by Step
- Meeting with the Guide: Your adventure begins at the beach, where you will meet your expert guide. He will provide information about the activity and help you prepare for the dive.
- Professional Equipment: You will be equipped with everything necessary for your dive: professional snorkeling gear and wetsuits, ensuring your comfort and safety during the activity.
- Exploration of the Coral Reef: Once equipped, you will dive under the waves to explore the coral reef filled with colorful fish. The guide will accompany you at all times, ensuring you have a safe and enriching experience.
- Marine Life Spotting: With a bit of luck, and depending on the season, you may spot large turtles and stingrays, as well as try to find the mysterious octopuses hidden under the stones.
- Opportunity to Taste Canarian Cuisine: After coming out of the water, you will have the opportunity to head to a popular local restaurant where you can buy a meal of authentic Canarian food, perfect for recharging energy after your underwater adventure.
- Photographic Memories: At the end of the activity, you will receive underwater photos of you and your group, taken by the instructor, so you can take with you an unforgettable memory of your snorkeling experience.
- Drinks and Videos: In addition to the photos, the activity includes drinks and videos, adding extra value to your experience.
This snorkeling excursion in Playa Abades is not only an opportunity to explore the rich marine biodiversity of Tenerife but also to connect with nature and enjoy a local gastronomic experience. With expert guidance and in a safe environment, it is an ideal activity for both beginners and more experienced snorkeling enthusiasts.
Diving and snorkelling to see turtles in Abades
If the turtles are at a close distance, hopefully you will be able to see them on your own while snorkelling, but this is unlikely.
To further ensure sightings, it is best to dive or snorkel in Abades with professional guides to swim with the turtles.
Our instructors know the spots where the turtles live better than anyone else, do not hesitate to book a diving baptism or a snorkeling session with them.
Information about the village of Abades
Did you know that Abades is officially called Los Abriguitos? This name was a reference to the small coves in the area where the boats took refuge.
With a population of about 800 inhabitants, it is a residential area of white houses with a few restaurants and a couple of supermarkets.
A quiet place surrounded by nature and a calm sea, making it an ideal setting for diving, snorkelling or just a swim on the beach.
Los Abriguitos Beach
In the village of Abades itself is Los Abriguitos beach, a small brown sandy beach with small coves all around to enjoy at low tide.
This is an unguarded beach, so you should swim with caution.
It is easy to access and parking is no problem in the village.
It measures approximately 160m x 40m (length x width) and has showers.
Respect the turtles living in Abades
If you are lucky enough to see turtles at Abades, remember that you are in their home and must be an excellent guest.
- Do not grab or hit the turtles.
- Do not capture them
- Do not feed them
- Do not leave plastic or litter around them
Don’t be silly! 🙂 Sea turtles are included in the Canary Islands Catalogue of Protected Species (Law 4/2010, 4th June), as SPECIES OF SPECIAL PROTECTION, as well as being protected by other international conventions.